You may place items from the library, or your personal collection, on reserve. Items on reserve include:
- books and book chapters
- links to online materials
Requests can be submitted in a variety of ways:
- by contacting Amanda Riegel, Public Services Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org / 484-664-3540
- via the online course reserves request form
- by visiting the Lending Services Desk
Reserve periods are for 2 or 4 hours, or 1 day. Students may take out one AV item or 2 printed materials at one time. Requests to place items on reserve should be made 3-5 days in advance of class assignments to ensure access for your students. During the first two weeks of a semester there is usually a backlog of requests which will be filled on a first come, first served basis. Please submit your requests as early as possible.
If an item has already been placed on reserve for another course, we ask that you obtain permission from the faculty member who has placed the item on reserve before using it for your own class.
Materials placed on reserve must comply with copyright laws. In general:
- The library or the instructor should own a legally obtained (not pirated) copy of the item being placed on reserve.
- Duplications of small portions of a legally obtained copy can be placed on reserve. For duplications in larger amounts, especially duplication of an entire work, library staff may need to request permission of the copyright holder.
- ILL items can be placed on physical reserves so long as they adhere to fair use. ILL items may be posted to electronic reserves only with permission of the copyright holder.
- Items from the library’s reference collection can be placed on reserve with permission of the subject specialist.
- Reserve items should be considered supplementary readings, not replacements for textbooks.
The above copyright guidelines all operate within the concept of fair use, described in detail in the Muhlenberg College Copyright Policy.
Electronic reserves is now available. For more information, contact Amanda Riegel, Public Services Assistant, at email@example.com / 484-664-3540.